Can my team…
(1) …make large-scale changes to the design of its system without the permission of somebody outside the team or depending on other teams?
(2) ...complete its work without needing fine-grained communication and coordination with people outside the team?
(3) …deploy and release its product or service on demand, independantly of other services the product or service depends upon?
(4) …do most of its testing on demand without requiring an integrated test environment?
(5) …perform deployments during normal business hours with negligible downtime?
Jez Humble is co-author of The DevOps Handbook, Lean Enterprise, and the Jolt Award winning Continuous Delivery. He has spent his career tinkering with code, infrastructure, and product development in companies of varying sizes across three continents, most recently working for the US Federal Government at 18F. He is currently researching how to build high performing teams at his startup, DevOps Research and Assessment LLC, and teaching at UC Berkeley.
Sessions & Workshops about Continuous Delivery at DevOpsCon
Stay up-to-date in the DevOps world, subscribe to our newsletter!
This checklist was part of Jez Humble’s keynote “Architecting for Continuous Delivery” at W-JAX 2017.